Chilli bajji is a classic snack from Chennai. This video recipe show you how to make this easy snack from the streets of South India
- Large green chilly (5 nos, non-spicy)
- Poatoe(1, boiled & mashed)
- cumin powder( a pinch)
- black pepper powder( a pinch)
- chilly powder( a pinch)
- Salt(1/2 tsp) or as per your taste
- green chilly (1, chopped)
- Coriander leaves(few, chopped)
- Bengal gram flour/besan (1/2 cup)
- Chilly powder (a pinch)
- Baking powder(a pinch)
- Salt(1 tsp)
- Turmeric powder(1 tsp)
- Water to make thick batter (about 1/2 cup)
- In a mixing bowl, add boiled and mashed poatoes of 1 potato. It is best to boil potato along with the skin so that it does not over cook and become soggy.
- To it add a pinch of carom seeds, a pinch of cumin powder, a pinch of black pepper powder,a pinch chilly powder, 1/2 tsp of salt or as per your salt requirement.
- Add green chilly chopped, few coriander leaves, mix it well so that the spices blends with the potato.
Our filling is now ready, keep it aside.
- Take a mixing bowl, add besan or bengal gram flour, chilly powder, baking powder, salt , turmeric powder and mix well.
- Add little by little water, mix well and make a thick batter.
- I have added 1/2 cup of water. If the batter becomes thick, add little more water to loose it. See to it no lumps are formed.
Our batter is ready. Keep it aside.
Assembling & Cooking
- Slit the large green chillies and remove the seeds.
- Now take the filling and stuff it inside the chilly.
- Heat oil in a pan to deep fry.
- Into the batter, place the stuffed chilly and coat it with batter all over.
- Once the oil is heated, add the chillies and deep fry them in a slow flame for 2 to 3 minutes or till it turns light golden in color.
- Take it off the oil and drain away the excess oil in a tissue paper. Chilly Bhaji is now ready.
Serve Chilly Bhaji when hot with Mint Chutney or Tamarind Chutney.