Sambar is an authentic recipe of the South of Indian. It is made different in every house. I have made the sambar with coconut milk. This video demonstrates Coconut milk Sambar, a variation of sambar recipe.
- Drumstick (1, long cut)
- Beans (1 cup, small cut)
- Coriander leaves (few)
- Curry leaves (1 stem)
- Dried red chilly (3-4)
- Turmeric powder (1/2 tsp)
- Black Pepper corn (1 tsp)
- Asafoetida powder (1/2 tsp)
- Mustard seeds (1 tsp)
- Black gram dal/Urad dal (2 tsp)
- Coconut milk (2 & 1/2 cups)
- Red gram dal/ Tur dal (1/2 cup)
- Rice flour (1 tbsp)
- Sambar masala (1 tsp)
- Oil (2 tbsp)
- Salt as per taste
- Boil, cook and mash the red gram dal/ tur dal and keep it aside.
- Add about 1/3 cup of water in rice flour and mix well to make it a paste without lumps and keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a wok, add mustard seeds and allow it to splutter.
- Add asafoetida powder, black gram dal/ urad dal, dried red chillies, black peppercorn, turmeric powder, drumstick, beans and mix everything well.
- Add sambar masala, salt, water (1 & 1/2 cups) and allow the vegetables to cook.
- Add the cooked red gram dal/ tur dal and bring them to boil.
- Add rice flour paste and mix well.
- Add the coconut milk in the sambar, curry leaves, mix well and bring it to boil.
- Finish the sambar by garnishing it with coriander leaves.
- Creamy & spicy coconut milk sambar is ready.
Serve Coconut milk Sambar with steamed rice.