Kariji is a sweet dish made with refined flour and stuffed with coconut, poppy seed and dry fruits. It is deep fried for a crisp finish.
Ingredients for 10 karinjis:
For the dough:
- Maida/Refined flour (1 cup)
- Semolina( 1/3 cup)
- Ghee/unsalted butter(1 tbsp)
- Salt( a pinch)
- Milk (1/3 cup, warm)
For the filling:
- Dried shredded coconut(1 cup)
- Sugar(powdered, 1 cup)
- Cardamom powder (a pinch)
- Poppy seeds (roasted, 1 tbsp)
- Semolina/rava(roasted, 1 tbsp)
- Cashewnut (1 tbsp, chopped)
- Rasins (1 tbsp)
Oil to deep fry
For the dough
- Add Maida or refined flour in a large mixing bowl, to it add semolina or rava and mix well.
- Add melted ghee or clarified butter and mix to incorporate it into the flour.
- Add a pinch salt and add a little more than one third cup of warm milk to make a dough.
- Knead the dough well and make sure you don’t add excess milk as the final dish will not be crispy.
- Knead it till the dough leaves the side of the bowl without sticking and you will know that the dough is ready.
- Wrap the dough in a cling foil an keep it for about half an hour. In the mean time we will go ahead and make the sweet filling for the Karanji.
For the filling
- In another mixing bowl add dry shredded coconut and powdered sugar.
- Add some cardamom powder and dried roasted poppy seed.
- Add one table spoon of roasted rava or semolina and mix them well.
- Add one tablespoon of chopped cashewnut and raisin and mix them well. So the filling for the Karanji is ready.
- After the dough has rested for about half an hour remove the cling film, knead it once more and divide it into small balls.
- Take a rolling pin and roll the ball into a flat disk.
- Now take the filling that was made earlier and fill in the disk. Add a generous portion of filling so that when you fold it there is not air pockets inside.
- Apply milk to the edges fold the 2 ends together and seal the stuffing inside. Press it nicely so that the filling does not come out.tte
- Now to cut the edge using a cutter or knife
- That will give it a nice half moon shape
- Heat oil in a pan to deep fry and once the oil is hot add the karanji to it. Reduce the flame and deep fry till it turns nice golden colour
- Remove it to a kitchen towel and allow to cool.
Karanji is ready to be served to your family and friend this Diwali. Enjoy!