Fried Chicken Curry or “Kozhi Varatha Kari” called in Malayalam, is a Kerala delicacy.
The tender chicken cubes are cooked in a palate-tickling combination of herbs and spices.
- Chicken (1 & 1/2 kg)
- Red chilly powder (1 tsp)
- Coriander powder (1 tsp)
- Turmeric powder (1 tsp)
- Onion( fine chopped, 5)
- Tomato puree (of 4 tomatoes)
- Oil to fry
- Salt to taste
- Cloves (7-8)
- Peppercorn (8-9)
- Cardamom (7-8)
- Cinnamon stick (2 inch)
- Ginger garlic paste (2 tbsp)
- Tamarind pulp (1 cup)
- Ground cinnamon, cardamom and cloves together and keep it aside. Crush the peppercorn and keep it aside.
- In a bowl, add the chicken, ginger garlic paste (1 tbsp), red chilly powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, salt and mix them well. Keep this marination for half an hour.
- Heat oil in a pan and shallow fry the marinated chicken.
- In the same oil, add onion and curry leaves, and saute till the onion turns golden brown.
- Add the remaining ginger garlic paste and saute till they are cooked.
- Add the tomato puree and cook till it starts to leave the vessel.
- Add the tamarind pulp and mix well.
- Add the fried chicken and mix them well and cook the chicken till it becomes tender.
- Garnish it with coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with steamed rice or chapaties.