This recipe demonstrates how to make the batter for the famous idli and dosa. An all time favourite breakfast item can usually be difficult to make. But this recipe aims to make this simple
- Rice (3 cups)
- Black gram dal/Urad dal (Broken or whole) – 1 cup
- Salt (1 tsp)
- Boiled rice(1/2 cup)
- Soak rice & Black gram dal/Urad dal seperately in water for 8 hours.
- Drain away the water of Black gram dal/Urad dal and grind it in a grinder/mixer by adding water(1/2 cup) to make a smooth batter.
- Pour the batter in a vessel and keep it aside.
- Drain away the water from the rice and grind it in the same grinder/mixer by adding water(1 cup) or till the rice immerses into the water to make a smooth batter.
- Pour this batter in the same vessel.
- Add salt and mix for about 5 minutes.
- Keep it overnight to ferment.
- In the morning, mix the batter again for 5 minutes.
- To make idli, this batter consistency is perfect.
- To make dosa, add very little water(about 1/2 cup) into the batter to make the batter loose.
Now the batter is ready to make Idli & Dosa.