How to make a delicious Hyderabadi Chicken Biryani. This popular biryani can be enjoyed specially during the Ramadan Iftar. Watch the video for the complete recipe
- Basmati rice/long grain rice (1/2 cup)
- Ghee (1 tsp)
- Ginger paste (1 tsp)
- Garlic paste (1 tsp)
- Green chilly (1, chopped)
- Chicken (200 gms, cut)
- Onion (sliced & fried, 2 tbsp)
- Garam masala (a pinch)
- Coconut milk (1/2 cup)
- Cream (1 tbsp)
- Yoghurt (1/4 cup)
- Cloves (2)
- Cinnamon (1/2 inch)
- Green cardamom (2 pods)
- Bay leaf (1)
- Salt as per taste.
- Mint leaves (chopped, few)
- Wash the rice and soak in water for 20 minutes. Drain off the water with a strainer and separate the rice and keep it aside.
- Heat a heavy bottom pan, add ghee, ginger paste, garlic paste, green chilli, 1 tsp salt & saute for 1 minute.
- Add the chicken, water (1 cup) and cook it for 4 minutes.
- Add garam masala, fried onion mix well and allow the chicken to cook for 2 minutes
- In another bowl, add coconut milk, cream, yoghurt and mix well.
- Add the coconut cream and yogurt mixture into the chicken and mix it well and bring it to a boil.
- Slow the flame and simmer it for 5 to 10 minutes till the gravy evaporates be reduced to 1/2 cup. Keep it aside.
- In a heavy bottom vessel, add 1 liter water and bring it to boil.
- Once the water boils, add cloves, cinnamon stick, green cardamom, bay leaf, salt (1 tsp), soaked rice and boil it for 2 minutes.
- Drain away the water from the rice with a strainer and keep it aside.
- Divide the rice in 2 parts.
- In a heavy bottom vessel, spread 1 part of rice as first layer.
- Pour the chicken curry over the rice spread and cover the rice with the gravy. This will be the second layer.
- Spread the remaining rice over the chicken as the third layer.
- Squeeze lime juice of half a lime over the third rice layer.
- Dot the rice with cream with the help of a tsp.
- Dot the rice with some ghee on the top of the layer.
- Sprinkle some mint leaves over the top.
- Switch on the flame, place the vessel and cover it with a tight lid and cook for 1 minute on high flame. Reduce the flame and cook it for minutes on slow flame.
Hyderabadi chicken biriyani is now ready to be served hot with relishes like raita. Enjoy!