Tamarind Rice or Puliodharai, as called in Tamil , is an authentic South Indian recipe.
The prominent flavor is of the tamarind and spices.
- Boiled Rice (1 bowl)
- Peanuts (2 tbsp)
- Chilly powder (1 tsp)
- Tamarind pulp (thick, 5 tsp)
- Green chilly (1, chopped)
- Urad dal/ Black gram (broken, 1 tbsp)
- Mustard seeds (1 tsp)
- Jaggery (1 tsp)
- Turmeric powder ( 1/2 tsp)
- Coriander powder (1 tbsp)
- Oil (3 tbsp)
- Red chilly (3)
- Bengal gram/ Channa dal (1 tbsp)
- Salt as per taste
- Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds, urad dal/black gram, channa dal/bengal gram, curry leaves, red chilly, peanuts and saute.
- Add red chilly powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, tamarind pulp, water and saute.
- Add jaggery, salt and mix well.
- Add boiled rice into the mixture and mix everything together.
Tamarind rice is ready to be served hot.
You might also like: