Puttu is an authentic breakfast dish of kerala. It is a cylindrical steamed rice flour layered in coconut. It is very good for health as it is steamed dish. This recipe shows how to make soft puttu.
Rice flour (1 cup)
Salt (1/2 tsp)
Water to wet the flour
Coconut (1/2 freshly grated)
- In a mixing bowl add the rice flour. These are little granulated rice flour. To it add salt & mix it well.
- Add little by little water, just sprinkle them and mix well so as to wet the flour.
- There should be no lumps.Make it a crumbled texture.Do not add excees water. When we press the flour, it should come together
- I have added 1/2 cup of water. Lets keep it aside.
- To make puttu, i m using a special cylindrical vessel called as “Puttu Maker”. It has a handle, a lid with small hole and a small opeing at the end for the steam to pass.
- Now into the puttu maker, place the filter provided.
- Into the cylindrical vessel of the puttu maker, add the first layer 1 tbsp of grated coconut and fill in the hole with it.
- Now fill half of the vessel with the flour.
- Now layer it with 1 tbsp of grated coconut.
- And fill the remaining with rice flour.
- And the final thin layer with grated coconut.
- Close it with the lid. Now it is ready to be steamed.
- Heat 1 cup of water in a pressure cooker.
- Close it with a lid & bring it to a boil & wait for the steam to come out.
- Place the Puttu Maker over the pressure cooker’s steam opening.
- Wait for the steam to pass from the small hole of the lid of the puttu maker.
- Switch off the flame when the steam comes out and take the puttu maker out of the pressure cooker.
With the help of a stick, push the puttu in a plate.
You can see a thin layer of coconut at the center where the puttu can be seperated. Our puttu is now ready.
Puttu tastes best when served with banana and papadum.
Puttu is also served with Kadala curry (Whole Black gram daal curry). For the recipe you can click here.