Unniappam is a dessert recipe made in Kerala during the Onam festival. It is a popular offering to gods and is very easy to make.
- Rice (1 cup)
- Yellow Banana ripe (2, skin pealed)
- Jaggery (1 cup)
- Oil to deep fry
- Wash and soak it in water for 2 hours.
- Drain away the water and add the rice in a mixer grinder. Add water (1/2 cup) and grind the rice to make very fine batter.
- Once the rice becomes a smooth batter, add jaggetry, yello bananas & Continue to grind the batter till jaggery and banana blends into the batter.
- The batter is now ready to make unniappam. To make unniappam, a special pan is used. This pan has many small holes in it. It is avaible in speciality indian stores or in Amazon. It is called kulipaniyaram pan.
- Fill the pan with oil 1 inch below the top.
- Be careful not the pour till the top as it will overflow when you pour the batter.
- Once the oil is hot add a teaspoon of batter in each of the hole. Allow to cook in a medium flame. Once the sides start to turn golden brown,turn the side so that the top starts to cook.
- Once the unniappam cooks on both sides, remove it from the oil onto a tissue paper.
Tasty snacks Unniappam is ready to be served. Enjoy!