Appam is a popular breakfast recipe from Kerala.
- Rice (3 cups)
- Grated coconut ( 1 cup)
- Boiled rice( 1/4 th cup)
- Salt( 1 teaspoon)
- Milk( 1/4th cup)
- Wash the rice and drain. Soak the rice overnight with fresh water.
- Drain away the water and grind with one and a half cup of water to make a smooth batter.
- Grind the grated coconut and the boiled rice to get a smooth paste.
- Add this to the rice batter along with a one teaspoon of salt, mix nicely and leave to ferment overnight.
- Once the batter is fermented, it will become thick. Add the milk and mix well.
- Heat the appam kadai on a flame and pour some batter and spread the mixture. Cover with a lid and cook on high flame for 15 seconds and then on a slow flame till the center gets cooked.
Serve with chicken curry.