Avial is a dish from Kerala, the Southern part of Indian. It is made during special occasions like festivals, wedding, pooja, etc. I made Avial during the festival of Onam.
Watch till the end to know the short story from epic Mahabharata.
- potatoes ( cut long, 1/2),
- drumsticks (long cut and split, 1 cup)
- Pumpkin ( long cut, 1 cup)
- Yam ( long cut, 1 cup)
- Carrots ( long cut, 1 cup)
- Long beans ( long cut, 1 cup)
- Tomato (chopped, 1)
- Yoghurt (wisked, 1 & 1/2 cups)
- Green chilly (1)
- Garlic (5)
- Onion (chopped, medium size)
- Curry leaves (few)
- Cumin seeds (1 tsp)
- Coconut (grated, 2 cups)
- Turmeric powder (1/2 tsp)
- Salt as per taste
- Coconut oil (1 tsp)
- Make a paste of onion, green chilly, cumin seeds, coconut, garlic, curry leaves & keep them aside.
- In a vessel heat 3 cups of water, add potatoes, drumsticks, Pumpkin, Yam, Carrots, Long beans, turmeric powder, salt and cook till the vegetables become tender.
- Add the coconut paste into the vegetables and mix well.
- Add the tomatoes and cook for 3 minutes in a slow flame.
- Add the yoghurt and mix well.
- Add coconut oil and salt as per taste.