Malabar fish biriyani is a kerala style of making Fish Biriyani.
(For 7 persons)
- Fish(500 gms)
- Turmeric powder (1/2 tbsp)
- Cooking oil(1/3 cup)
- Onion ( 4 large, chopped)
- Ginger( 2 inch, chopped)
- Green chillies (2, split)
- Coriander powder (3 tbsp)
- Garam Masala powder (3 tbsp)
- Chilly powder( 1 tbsp)
- Turmeric powder (1 tbsp)
- Tomatoes (5, chopped)
- Salt (a per taste)
- Yoghurt (beaten, 1 bowl)
- Ghee (1 tbsp)
- Cinnamon sticks (5)
- Star anise (1)
- Cardamom (4 pods)
- Basmati Rice (3 cups)
- Coriander leaves (chopped, handful)
- Mint leaves(chopped, handful)
- Raisins (1/3rd cup, roasted in ghee)
- Cashews(1/3rd cup, roasted in ghee)
- In a bowl, add fish, turmeric powder, mix well and allow it to marinade for 15 minutes.
- Heat a pan, add oil, onion and saute till it turns light golden brown.
- Add ginger, green chilies and saute for 1 minute.
- Add Garam masala powder, chilly powder, turmeric powder mix well till the aroma spreads.
- Add water and saute again.
- Add tomatoes and saute for 6 minutes.
- Add salt as per taste. Add water(1 cup) and mix well.
- Add marinated fish cubes and mix gently and cook for 1 minute.
- Add yoghurt, mix well and simmer for 1 minute.
- Take it off the flame and keep it aside.
- Soak the rice in water for 5 minutes.
- Heat another vessel. Add ghee, cinnamon sticks, star anise, cardamom pods, and saute well.
- Drain the rice and add it to the spices and stir fry for 1 minute. Take it off the flame and keep it aside.
- In another cooking vessel, put a thin layer of stir fried rice.
- Above it add the fish and the gravy as the second layer.
- Repeat the process for the rest of the fish and rice.
- Switch on the flame, add boiling water (salted, 1 tbsp) 1 inch above the rice level and bring it to a boil.
- Slow the flame, sprinkle coriander leaves, mint leaves, roasted raisins and cashews.
- Close it with a lid and keep some weight over the lid so that the steam won’t escape. This process is known as ‘Dum’.
- Keep the rice and fish on Dum for 8 minutes.
- Switch off the flame, and keep it for another 10 minutes with the lid closed.
- The rice will be cooked and will come out separately. This is the consistency that the biriyani is cooked.
Delicious Malabar Fish Biriyani is now ready to be served. Enjoy!