This recipe requires idli dosa batter. For the idli dosa batter recipe click here. If you have seen it already, you can continue here 🙂
Masala paniyaram is made of left over idli dosa batter. A special pan called paniyaram pan is used. Traditionally, this pan was made of iron. I have seen it my grand mother use it to make unni appam.
Now in modern times, we get them as non stick pan where little oil is required to cook.
- Idli dosa batter (1 cups)
- Onion (1, chopped)
- Curry leaves (few, chopped)
- Grated coconut (1 tbsp)
- Asofotida powder (a pinch)
- Ground black pepper (a pinch)
- Chilly powder (1/2 tsp)
- Green chilly(1/2 chopped)
- Oil for cooking.
- Salt as per taste.
- In a vessel, add the idli dosa batter, onion, curry leaves, grated coconut asofotieda powder, ground black pepper.
- If you want it to be spicy, add green chilly and red chilly powder into the batter.
- Add salt if required since idli dosa batter will already have salt in it.
- Mix all the ingredients well.
- Take a kulipaniaram pan, heat it, add very little oil in each holes of the pan.
- Pour in the batter and cook it on one side.
- Turn the other side and cook it the other side as well.
Delicious and crispy Masala paniyaram is ready t be served!