A semolina preparation, Upma is an authentic South Indian dish, very simple to make and good on your diet.
- Cooking oil
- Curry leaves (few)
- Mustard seeds (1/2 tsp)
- Dried red chilly (2, half broken)
- Black gram dal (1 tsp, broken)
- Onion (1, chopped)
- Roasted Semolina (Rava) – 1 cup
- Water (2 & 1/2 cups)
- Salt as per taste.
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds to it.
- Once it crackle, add dried red chilly, curry leaves and black gram dal to it.
- Once the black gram dal turns light golden brown in color, add onion and saute well.
- Once the onion turns light golden brown, add water and bring it to boil.
- Add semolina/rava in the boiling water and mixing at the same time.
- Slow the flame and allow the water to evaporate and to be absorbed by Semolina to form an Upma consistency.
Rava Upma is now ready to be served hot with Coconut chutney