Tomato Pickle recipe is contributed by my friend Vidya Lakshmi who runs her blog vidyascooking.blogspot.com. Vidya shared her authentic Tomato pickle which is a delicacy in Andhra cuisine. This simple recipe is a wonderful accompaniment to many variety rice dishes. Learn and enjoy !
- Tomato chopped (2 kg)
- Red Chilly powder (6 tbsp)
- Tamarind (lemon size )
- Vegetable Oil (1 cup)
- Asafotida powder (1/4 tbsp)
- Mustard seeds (3 tbsp)
- salt (2 tbsp)
- Fenugreek Seeds/Methi seeds (1/2 tbsp)
- Turmeric (1 tbsp)
- Citric acid (1/4 tbsp ) – optional
- Vinegar (1/4 cup ) – optional
- In a heavy bottom pan, add tomatoes, close it with a lid and allow it to cook.
- Boil 1/2 cup water in another vessel, add tamarind and cook it for 10 minutes and squeeze the tamarind to make tamarind pulp.
- Roast mustard seeds(1 tbsp) & fenugreek/methi seeds powder it to make Pickle powder, and keep it aside.
- Constantly keep stirring the tomatoes, the moisture from the tomato should completely evaporate in 1 hour time. Now add the tamarind pulp, chilly powder & turmeric powder mix well and allow to cook till everything has gone dry in 1 & 1/2 hour.
- Heat oil, splutter mustard seeds(2 tbsp) and asafetida powder (1/4 tbsp).
- Add this oil to the tomato pulp and saute in medium flame.
- Add the pickle powder, fenugreek/methi seeds powder to it and saute for 10 minutes till the oil surfaces on the top. Switch off the flame, allow the pickle to cool completely before you bottle.
Tomato pickle is ready to be served with curd rice, lemon rice, etc.
If you wish to feature your cooking on this site do write me a note on firstname.lastname@example.org
You might also like: