This week I visited my hometown in Maharashtra where I got the authentic recipe.
Val ani Shenga bhaji is a Maharastrian Cuisine made of Field beans and Drumstick. This recipe is given by Mrs. Saroj Patil who is a working professional, house wife and a wonderful cook.
- Val/Field beans (2 cups, soaked and skin removed)
- Drumstick (1, long cut)
- Onion (chopped, 1 cup)
- Coriander leaves (chopped, for garnish)
- Curry leaves (few)
- Coconut grated (1/2 cup, for garnish)
- Garlic (crushed, 4 bulbs)
- Garam Masala( 1 tsp)
- Tomatoes (1 cup)
- Mustard seeds (1/2 tsp)
- Asafotida powder(a pinch)
- Salt per taste
- Turmeric powder (1/2 tsp)
- Red chilly powder (1 & 1/2 tsp)
- Oil (2 tbsp)
- Heat oil in a heavy bottom pan, add asafotida powder, mustard seeds, curry leaves, onion and saute till onion turns golden brown.
- Add chopped tomato, salt, turmeric powder, chilly powder, garam masala and saute well.
- Add drumstick and field beans to the masala and mix well.
- Add 1/2 cup of water and bring it to boil and cook them for 20 minutes.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and grated coconut.
Val ani Shenga bhaji is ready to be served hot with chapati or steamed rice.
You might also like:
[get_posts category=”4″ numberposts=10]